In a bid to access the setup page of the router, you would require to know the IP address of the router. Without knowing the IP address you won’t be able to access the setup page of the router to make configuration changes. But, if you have forgotten the IP address of the router, you don’t have to panic as there are different ways available to find the IP address of the router. Below is a helpful guide on How to Find Router IP Address.
The default gateway is considered to be the IP address of the router. On small businesses and home networks single router is used and several devices are connected to it and the private IP address of the router is the default gateway. All the devices connected to router send traffic to an IP address by default. In Windows, the IP address is called default gateway in the interface, while in iOS devices it is called “router” in its interface.
Ways to Find Router IP Address:
Knowing the IP address of your router is essential because it is the address which would give you access to the web-based setup page of the router to make necessary changes in the configuration.
How to Find Router IP Address on Windows?
As mentioned, the IP address of the router is Default gateway in network connection information on your Windows system. There are two different ways to know the router IP address to which the Windows system is connected. The first is through command prompt.
- From the windows menu, you need to open the command prompt window.
- Type ipconfig command and hit the enter bar.
- You will find the default gateway address through its graphic interface.
The default gateway would be written next to the IPv4 Address on the window. The second option from where you can know the IP address of the router is through the control panel and the steps are mentioned below.
- Go to the control panel of your Windows PC and hit the enter bar once.
- You will see a control panel window is open and from the list click on “Network and Internet” category and then again click on the “View Network Status and Tasks” link.
- On the new window on the upper right corner of “Network and Sharing Centre,” you will see the name of the network connection to which Windows PC is connected.
- In the Window click on “Ethernet Status” and then on “Details” key.
- A new window will open with the “Network Connection Details” and there you will see the IP address of the router listed as “IPv4 Default Gateway”.
These were the steps that you need to follow in order to know the default IP address of the router to which the Windows PC is connected. These are the only ways to know the default IP address of the router. Below are the methods to know the default Router’s IP address on Mac OS.
How to Find IP Address of Router on Mac PC?
There are people who are comfortable working with Mac PC and want to access the setup page of the router to make changes in configuration. So, to know the default router IP address on Mac PC is very simple and easy. There is one single method to know the default IP address of the router to which the MAC PC is connected. Below are the steps to know the IP address of the router on Mac PC.
- Click the “Apple” menu on the PC from the bar at the top of the screen.
- Click on “System Preferences” and in the window, you need to click the “Network” icon once.
- Now you need to select the “Network Connection” e.g. wired connection or Wi-Fi and then click on “Advanced” button at the bottom of the screen.
- In the “network” window choose the “TCP/IP” key and the IP address of the router will be listed simply as “Router”.
These are the steps to know the default IP address of the router on Mac PC.
How to Find Router’s IP Address in Linux OS?
Although Linux is the rarest OS that is being used today some of the systems are still running on this reliable OS. So, when it comes to finding the router IP address on Linux OS you have to follow few simple steps.
- Click on network icon from the desktop and select the “Connection Information”
- A new window will open with the IP address next to the “Default Router” or “Gateway”
So, these are the steps which you need to follow in order to know the default IP address of the router to which your respective system is connected. The methods differ according to the OS you are using and hence follow the steps carefully.